SO – I start a lot of blogs that way. But this is a first:
For the first time in twenty years of working in visual effects, and tons of rubber monster types of movies I get to KEEP one of the creatures I worked on.
Technically the little rubber critter was ordered after we finished production on the second season of the show it belongs to but it was the first thing I built for this particular show.
The second season was a really big project for the company I work for in terms of scope and scale. Full digital creatures, combined digital AND practical creature shots and the prerequisite gore and mayhem for a horror comedy.
I think I personally touched more than 70 or so shots with digital creatures – full animation lighting and compositing of shots – or “soup to nuts” as some of the old timers like to put it.
The result I hope will be airing soon on an internet connection near you.
But for the meantime – the little package of foam, paint and wires turned into solid creature is on its way home.
I made a 3d print of the model I made and will likely set them on some honored spot near my desk.
Got this guy assembled – fun, but it will take some more tweaks to make those legs stronger. Since the original model was only meant to be animated and the actual practical version never really stood on its own making this guy free standing means beefing up the strength on the legs a lot. The legs come to little claw points too, which will likely be the first pieces to break – handle with care, eh. #snatchers #3dprinting #ultimaker #PLA #3duniverse #zbrush